If blue cheese’s flavor is too intense, substitute low-fat feta crumbles or Parmesan shreds. SERVES 2
• 10 to 15 pan-roasted peeled garlic cloves (see directions below)
• 2 tablespoons walnut pieces
• 1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
• 4 cups tightly packed fresh baby spinach, divided
• 2 tablespoons low-fat blue cheese crumbles, to taste
• Blue cheese crumbles, for garnish
1. Cook pan-roasted garlic cloves and walnuts in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 1 minute.
2. Add half of spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until spinach has wilted. Add blue cheese crumbles and remaining spinach. Cook, stirring constantly, until spinach begins to wilt. Top with additional blue cheese crumbles, if desired. Serve immediately.
How to Pan-Roast Garlic in Minutes
You may quickly become a fan of this easy cooking technique, which yields soft, mellow garlic cloves–and enticing aromas in your kitchen.
Directions: Warm about 1?2 tablespoon of vegetable or canola oil in a small skillet. Add unpeeled garlic cloves and toss constantly for about 10 to 15 minutes until browned and soft. Remove garlic cloves from heat; cool and peel. Cut away any brown spots. Tip: If cloves are large, cut lengthwise before pan-roasting to reduce cooking time.
Letitia L. Star is a healthy living writer who frequently writes about cooking and growing herbs.
Click here for the main article, Fight Aging With Every Meal.