Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Serves 8 to 9
Though it’s fine leftover, this cake tastes best fresh out of the oven while the rhubarb is still warm.
2 cups rhubarb (about 5 medium stalks), cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350?F.
2. In an 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan, toss rhubarb and 1/2 cup sugar and spread evenly. Drizzle cream over rhubarb.
3. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, blend butter and remaining sugar. Add egg, milk, vanilla and lemon zest; cream until light and fluffy. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
5. Pour cake batter over rhubarb mixture. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted through cake (but not rhubarb) comes out clean.
6. Cool cake 10 minutes on a wire rack, then turn it onto a serving plate so the rhubarb is on top. Serve warm.