Makes 6 cups
This creamy, savory soup is especially welcome on a cold day.
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups cooked or canned pumpkin
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped green onion
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the butter until the onion is soft. Stir in the seasonings and cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin and cream; cook 5 minutes longer. Pour the soup into a blender jar, cover, and blend until creamy. Serve hot, garnished with the green onion.
–Regina Dye, Kingsport, Tennessee