SERVES 6 to 8
Without the added calories or hassle of making crust, this dessert offers the flavor of old-fashioned apple pie with the added zing of cranberries. For an added twist, you may add a cup of other berries such as raspberries or blackberries to the mix.
- 4 cups apples–peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup cranberries
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt, for topping
1. Combine the apples, cranberries, 3 tablespoons of flour, honey, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir until the apples and cranberries are evenly coated. Pour the mixture into a small, 8- or 9-inch baking dish.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of flour. With a fork, cut the butter into the mixture until small lumps are coated with the flour/sugar mixture. Don’t overmix. With your fingers, sprinkle the topping over the surface of the apple mixture in the baking dish. Bake at 400°F for 25 to 35 minutes.
3. Top each serving with a dollop of yogurt.
Click here for the main article, “Don’t Desert Dessert.”