Makes about 12 slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small green chili pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, pounded
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, pounded
- Salt, to taste
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Mint leaves, to garnish
- Cherry tomatoes, halved, to garnish
1. Mix together the lemon juice, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Brush the mixture on both sides of each eggplant slice. Broil until tender and light brown. Keep warm.
2. In a nonstick frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and green chili pepper (if using), and sauté until translucent. Add the coriander, cumin seeds, and salt, and sauté for a few seconds more. Stir in all the remaining ingredients and cook until the tomato is just heated through (do not overcook).
3. Top each eggplant slice with the cooked mixture and garnish with mint leaves and cherry tomatoes. Serve as a first course or as a side dish with any main dish of your choice and rice.
Click here for the main article, “A Sweet Taste of India.”