These apricot pork chops get raves at company dinners. I sometimes substitute chicken breasts for the pork chops. Serve with rice and a green vegetable.
- 6 loin pork chops
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped lovage
- 11/3 cups milk
- 1 can halved apricots, drained and liquid reserved
- Sprigs of lovage for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the bones and fat from the chops and flatten slightly. In a skillet, brown the chops on both sides in half the butter. Season lightly with salt and pepper and transfer to a shallow baking dish.
- Sauté the onion, mushrooms, celery and green pepper in the remaining butter. Stir in the curry powder and sauté a minute or two longer.
- Blend in the flour, then add the mustard, lovage, milk, and 1/3 cup reserved apricot juice. Heat, stirring, until the sauce is smooth, then pour it over the meat and bake, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes.
- To serve, transfer the chops and sauce to a serving dish and arrange the drained apricot halves in a ring on top. Garnish with sprigs of lovage.
–Barbara MacPherson, Nakusp, British Columbia, Canada