Makes about 24 cookies
Years ago, while visiting a lavender grower, I was served a cookie lightly laced with lavender. The grower moved before I could ask for her recipe, so I experimented with my own until the batch came out just right.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 11/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- 1 pinch salt, if desired
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Whisk or beat in the egg, lemon juice and almond extract until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, lemon zest, lavender and salt. Add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture and blend together to form a soft ball. Drop by teaspoon onto a nonstick cookie sheet, then flatten slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Click here for the original article, Cooking with Lavender.