Makes 7½ to 10 quarts
- 10 to 16 pounds green cabbage
- Salt (½ to ¾ teaspoon per pound of cabbage)
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries (optional)
- Bay leaf (optional)
- Salt water to cover (1 tablespoon salt per quart of water)
- Shred cabbage into a large bowl; add salt and optional spices. Gradually add mixture to the crock, crushing to release juices. Add weighting stones and push down firmly.
- Top off with sterile, chlorine-free salt water to cover stones by 1 inch. Ferment 4 to 6 weeks at temperatures recommended above.
Michael O’Brien is studying biochemistry at Colorado State University. Previously an electrical engineer, he now operates a “dryland” landscaping company and also enjoys organic gardening. His goal is to understand and promote healthy lifestyles.
Click here for the original article, Fermented Vegetables.