Photo by Fotolia
Get a healthy dose of essential vitamins and minerals with easy-to-make veggie stir-fry recipes.
- 1⁄2 cup cubed tofu* processed with calcium sulfate (253 mg calcium, 3 mg iron)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup broccoli florets (43 mg calcium, 19 mg magnesium, 0.66 mg iron)
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, sliced (16 mg magnesium, 0.32 mg iron, 12 IU vitamin D)
- 1 cup chopped Chinese cabbage or bok choy (74 mg calcium, 13 mg magnesium, 0.56 mg iron)
- 1 cup shredded kale (24 mg calcium, 8 mg magnesium)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds (100 mg calcium, 40 mg magnesium, 1.64 mg iron) * Or substitute a 3-ounce serving of chicken (sliced and sautéed), which contains 0.32 mcg B12, 8 mg calcium, 0.93 mg iron and 20 mg magnesium
- Sauté tofu in 1 tablespoon oil until golden. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan with remaining oil, sauté garlic, ginger, broccoli and mushrooms until mushrooms are soft and florets turn bright green.
- Return tofu to pan and add cabbage and kale. Stir in tamari and simmer 1 to 2 minutes.
- Top with roasted sesame seeds and serve immediately over brown rice or rice noodles, if you wish. Serves 2.
Learn more about five nutrient deficiencies in Vital Nutrition: Common Vitamin Deficiencies.
Note: The vitamin and mineral content reflects the raw ingredients; cooking times and techniques can affect final cooked nutrient levels.