- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, cut into small dice
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon hemp pesto
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil spray
- In a small bowl, combine flaxseed meal and water. Set aside.
2. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add shallots and mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables are softened.
4. In a large bowl, combine flaxseed meal and cannellini beans. Mash with a potato masher.
5. Add the mushroom mixture, hemp pesto, quinoa flakes, and salt and pepper to the bowl, mixing together.
6. Shape mixture into 4 patties.
7. Spray a medium skillet with olive oil.
8. Over medium heat, cook patties, 4 to 5 minutes per side, until they are warm all the way through.
More from Super Seeds:• Super Seeds with Super Health Benefits
Reprinted with permission from Super Seeds: The Complete Guide to Cooking with Power-Packed Chia, Quinoa, Flax, Hemp & Amaranth © 2014 by Kim Lutz, Sterling Publishing Co. Photography by Bill Milne.
Kim Lutz begins Super Seeds (Sterling Publishing Co., 2014) by exploring the astonishing nutrient profiles and health benefits of super seeds, from providing vitamins and minerals to delivering protein and fiber. After covering everything you need to know about basic super seed recipes and the tools you’ll need to use super seeds in various forms, Lutz offers 75 mouthwatering recipes perfect for vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free diets. The following recipe is from Chapter 5, “Entrees.”
To give these hearty quinoa veggie burgers a bolder flavor, feel free to add more pesto to the mix. The burgers are delicious on a seeded bun with a slice of red onion and a couple of crisp leaves of lettuce.