Photo by Kate Hackworthy
Blogger Kate Hackworthy offers her own simple recipe for carrot jam on her healthy food and lifestyle blog Veggie Desserts (veggiedesserts.co.uk/carrot-jam).
Makes 1 pint SERVINGS
- 1 pound carrots, coarsely grated (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 8 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- In a heavy-bottom pan, combine carrots, sugar, lemon zest and juice and salt. Bundle whole spices in cheesecloth and add to carrots. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, add water and nutmeg to carrot mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, until syrup has mostly evaporated and is thick and orange, and carrots are glossy, about 30 minutes. If you overboil carrots, they become gluey.
- Discard spice bundle. Let jam cool to room temperature, then refrigerate. Or, water bath can jam, processing 2 half-pint jars containing hot jam and 1⁄4-inch headspace for 10 minutes. Makes 1 pint.
Find more great ways to savor your fall harvest in our Guide to Fall Food Preservation.
Recipe reprinted from The Kitchen Ecosystem by Eugenia Bone.
Carrot jam is great on a cheese tray or in a sandwich.