Photo by David Kaplan
This different approach to coleslaw is colorful, crunchy and full of bright, lemony flavor.
4 servings SERVINGS
- 2 cups lightly packed, thinly sliced Romaine lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1-1/2 medium lemons
- 2 tablespoons tahini, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons water, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Put salad ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- To make dressing, put juice of 1 lemon, tahini, water, garlic powder and cayenne in a blender and process until smooth, adding more tahini or water as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Pour dressing over salad and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut remaining lemon half into 4 wedges. Divide salad into 4 bowls and garnish each with a lemon wedge. Makes 4 servings. Find more vegan recipes in 4 Plant-Based Meals for Vegan Eating.
Crisp, lemony and inviting, this unusual take on coleslaw adds color and crunch to any meal.