Whole Food Energy (Barron’s Educational Series, 2016) by Elise Museles provides recipes that use whole ingredients and give you energy. This recipe for peanut butter and jelly bars will satisfy your craving while giving you fuel.
These bars have it all — delicious flavors, a combination of satisfying textures (chewy and crunchy in one bar), and enough staying power to fuel an active lifestyle. An all-natural source of portable energy using raw ingredients, these chewy power bars couldn’t be easier to make … or eat! Store these bars up to 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator, or freeze for up to 1 month
My sons ask for these peanut butter and jelly bars on repeat. The oats, dried fruit, and nuts provide a great balance of macronutrients.
- 1/2 cup (45 g) rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup (200 g) pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup (60 g) unsweetened natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup (110 g) dried cherries
- 1/2 cup (85 g) almonds, roughly chopped
- Line a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Place the oats in a food processor and pulse until they are coarsely chopped but still have some texture — do not overprocess or create a powder.
- Add the other ingredients, except for the dried cherries and almonds. Process until the mixture starts to stick together and clump on the sides of the bowl. Add the dried cherries and pulse a few times.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium-sized bowl and add the roughly chopped almonds. Place a piece of parchment on top of the mixture and use your hands to incorporate the nuts and dried fruit with the other ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan and use another sheet of parchment paper on top to press and flatten evenly into the pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour before cutting into 12 equal-sized bars.
More Recipes from Whole Food Energy:
Excerpted from Whole Food Energy by Elise Museles. Copyright © 2016, Quantum Books Ltd. and Barron’s Educational Series, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher