Make this Male Tonic Elixir recipe to use as a handcrafted herbal gift for family and friends this holiday
Male Tonic Elixir Recipe
• 2 ginseng roots, either American (Panax quinquefolius) or Asian (Panax ginseng)
• 1 ounce fo-ti (Polygonum multiflorum)
• 1/2 ounce dried ginger
• 1/2 ounce damiana (Turnera diffusa)
• 1/2 ounce saw palmetto berries (Serenoa repens)
• 2 slices astragalus root (Astragalus membranaceus)
• 2 cups brandy
• 1/2 cup pure cherry fruit concentrate or honey
1. Crush all of the herbs and cover them with about 2 cups of
brandy (or just enough to cover the herbs).
2. Let sit for 2 weeks, shaking daily, then strain.
3. Add fruit concentrate or honey, and bottle. Take 1 tablespoon daily. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Mindy Green is an herbalist, aromatherapist, educator, and writer. She is also an esthetician, a consultant to the
natural products industry, and director of education at the Herb Research Foundation in Boulder, Colorado. She is the author
of Calendula (Keats, 1998), Natural Perfumes (Interweave, 1999), and co-author of
Complete Guide to the Healing Art (The Crossing Press, 1995).
Read more about making herbal holiday gifts: Homemade Holiday
Gifts: Herb and Aromatherapy Recipes.