Vegetable Gumbo with Cabbage
Registered dietitian Beth Bussey prepares batches of the following soup to eat on the run during the holidays. She says the soup is easy to prepare and “fills up your stomach with vitamins and minerals.”
• 1 16-oz. package frozen vegetable gumbo mix
• 1 14.5-oz. can Cajun-style stewed tomatoes
• 1 cup water
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 4 cups shredded cabbage
1. Combine the first four ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
2. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Add shredded cabbage and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 7 to 8 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
Nutritional information, per serving: 70 calories; 3 g protein; 16 g carbohydrates; 4 g fiber; 1 g fat; trace amounts of saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 214 mg sodium.
Source: EatRight Lose Weight; 7 Simple Steps, Birmingham, Alabama: OxmoorHouse, 1997.
Check out the original article, How to Stay Healthy During the Holidays.