These meaty-tasting mushrooms are brimming with hearty quinoa, walnuts, sweet red peppers and fresh basil, making them a colorful, crowd-pleasing entrée. Bonus: They’re gluten-free and soy-free—ideal for guests with these common restrictions.
• 1 cup uncooked quinoa, thoroughly rinsed and drained
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube 8 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
• 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed
• 2/3 cup diced sweet red pepper
• 2/3 cup walnut halves, chopped
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
• 1/3 cup roasted and salted cashews, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
• 2 teaspoons all-purpose, salt-free seasoning blend
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• Basil sprigs, for garnish
1. Put quinoa in a saucepan with water and bouillon cube. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook 15 to 17 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, remove from heat and let cool for 20 to 30 minutes.
Chef’s note: You can cook quinoa up to one day in advance. Once cooked, cool quinoa, cover tightly and refrigerate until you are ready to stuff mushrooms.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large, rimmed baking pan with unbleached parchment paper. Put mushrooms gill side up on prepared pan. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and a dash of sea salt over each mushroom.
3. Put cooled quinoa, red pepper, walnuts, basil, cashews, garlic, capers, all-purpose seasoning, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir gently to combine.
4. Put a heaping 1/3 cup quinoa mixture into each mushroom, patting down firmly as you go. Using a pastry brush or back of a spoon, brush top of quinoa mixture on each mushroom with about 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil. Tent mushrooms with foil. Bake 50 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft.
5. Remove foil and bake uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, or until top of stuffing gets golden. Let pan cool for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Find more vegan recipes in 4 Plant-Based Meals for Vegan Eating.