The Heal Your Gut Cookbook (Chelsea Green, 2014) by Hilary Boynton and Mary G. Brackett brings together recipes designed by Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) diet experts that help protect your gut from illnesses. This cookbook arms readers with the tools and ingredients to make sure their GAPS diet is a successful and pain-free experience. The following excerpt is their recipe for salmon cakes with lemon pesto.
• 1/3 cup squash puree
• 3 pastured eggs
• Sea salt and black pepper
• 2 tbsp. minced red or white onion
• 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
• Fat for the pan, such as ghee or coconut oil
1. Mix the salmon and squash together with a fork. Stir in the eggs, salt, pepper, onion, and parsley. Make into patties about 3/4 inch thick.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of fat in a skillet. Cook the Salmon Cakes in batches, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add fat as needed for each new batch. Serve on a bed of fresh greens with Lemon Pesto (recipe follows).
Makes approximately 1 pint
• 2 to 3 garlic cloves
• 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or walnuts (a less expensive option)
• 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
• 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
• 1/4 cup grated raw Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 to 1-1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or Vitamix and blend well. While the machine is running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until you reach your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Put in a pint-sized mason jar, and store in the fridge.
More from: The Heal Your Gut Cookbook• The Importance of the GAPS Diet
• Easy Vegetable Tian Recipe
• Home Baked Faux “Cheez-It” Recipe
This excerpt is adapted from Hilary Boynton and Mary G. Brackett's book The Heal Your Gut Cookbook: Nutrient-Dense Recipes for Intestinal Health Using the GAPS Diet (Chelsea Green, 2014) and is printed with permission from the publisher.