This delightfully fragrant and satisfying stew makes impressive fare for company. Serve with crusty whole-grain bread and a crisp green salad on the side.
• 4-1/2 cups cubed zucchini (1- to 1-1/2 inch cubes)
• 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
• 1-2/3 cups sliced carrots
• 1 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed
• 1 cup green lentils, sorted and rinsed
• 1 small sweet onion, chopped
• 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh garlic
• 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
• 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari
• 10 cups water
• 3 cups lightly packed, thinly sliced kale
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
• Sea salt, to taste
• Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Put zucchini, tomatoes, carrots, rice, lentils, onion, garlic, bouillon and tamari in a large soup pot. Pour in water. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes.
2. Add kale, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
3. Add basil and cook for 5 minutes, or until rice is soft.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Makes 6 to 8 servings.Find more vegan recipes in 4 Plant-Based Meals for Vegan Eating.