Photo by Laura Theodore
This hearty stew is loaded with fiber, protein and antioxidants.
6 to 8 servings SERVINGS
- 4-1/2 cups cubed zucchini (1- to 1-1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1-2/3 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1 cup green lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh garlic
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 10 cups water
- 3 cups lightly packed, thinly sliced kale
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Put zucchini, tomatoes, carrots, rice, lentils, onion, garlic, bouillon and tamari in a large soup pot. Pour in water. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes.
- Add kale, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Add basil and cook for 5 minutes, or until rice is soft.
- Season with salt and pepper. Makes 6 to 8 servings. Find more vegan recipes in 4 Plant-Based Meals for Vegan Eating.
This delightfully fragrant and satisfying stew makes impressive fare for company. Serve with crusty whole-grain bread and a crisp green salad on the side.