Crisp, lemony and inviting, this unusual take on coleslaw adds color and crunch to any meal.
• 2 cups lightly packed, thinly sliced Romaine lettuce
• 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
• 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
• 2 medium carrots, grated
• 1 small sweet onion, diced
• 1-1/2 medium lemons
• 2 tablespoons tahini, plus more as needed
• 2 tablespoons water, plus more as needed
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• Pinch cayenne pepper
• Sea salt, to taste
• Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Put salad ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
2. To make dressing, put juice of 1 lemon, tahini, water, garlic powder and cayenne in a blender and process until smooth, adding more tahini or water as needed to achieve desired consistency.
3. Pour dressing over salad and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut remaining lemon half into 4 wedges. Divide salad into 4 bowls and garnish each with a lemon wedge. Makes 4 servings.Find more vegan recipes in 4 Plant-Based Meals for Vegan Eating.