This Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes recipe is truly heart-healthy, in addition to being delicious.
Either as a breakfast or an after-dinner snack, this Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes recipe produces a vegan dish that is both heart-healthy and delicious.
Photo courtesy Chronicle Books
The desire to be an environmentally healthful and thoughtful eater has increased as more people pile on the fruits and vegetables and forego animal proteins. Myra Goodman and Marea Goodman have answered the call with Straight from the Earth (Chronicle Books, 2014), a resource full of creative, delightful vegan recipes that will change your mind on what a plant-based diet can be. This Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes recipe is from the chapter “Breakfast.”
You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Straight from the Earth.
When I first served my son these delicious pancakes, he asked me twice (with a lot of skepticism) if they were truly healthy. How is that possible when they taste so delicious? I told him they are all whole grain, with heart-healthy flaxseed, soymilk, and canola oil, plus antioxidant-rich blueberries and nutritious pecans. If you go light on the syrup, this is a legitimately healthy meal. At our house, we eat pancakes as an after-dinner snack more often than as a breakfast, and during the summer we almost always turn these into raspberry pancakes with the berries from our yard. It’s a great recipe for experimenting with different fruit and nut combinations. In this recipe, we use the pecans as a topping, but they are also delicious folded right into the batter with the berries. In the winter, try thinly sliced apples or slices of bananas. It’s hard to go wrong with these pancakes! —Myra
• 1 1/3 cups plain, unsweetened soymilk, plus extra if the batter needs thinning
• 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
• 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
• 1/4 cup very hot water (about 180 degrees F/82 degrees C)
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
• 2/3 cup cornmeal
• 2 tbsp granulated sugar
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 2 cups blueberries, plus 2 cups/280 g for serving (optional)
• 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
• Confectioners’ sugar (optional)
• Pure maple syrup
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the soymilk and lemon juice. Let the mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken into “buttermilk.”
2. In a small bowl, stir together the ground flaxseeds with the hot water. Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes until it thickens (this is our egg substitute).
3. Add the flaxseed mixture and oil to the bowl with the “buttermilk” and whisk to combine.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined, and then fold in the blueberries. If the batter is too thick to pour, thin it with a little more soymilk.
5. Heat a cast-iron skillet or nonstick griddle over medium heat. When the pan is hot, brush it with a thin layer of oil. Spoon a scant 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle for each cake. This should spread to form a 4 inch pancake. Attempt to evenly distribute the berries in every pancake.
6. Cook for approximately 2 minutes, until the batter begins to bubble and the bottoms are golden brown. Flip the pancakes and cook an additional minute or so, until the bottoms are golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
7. Top the pancakes with a sprinkle of the pecans, additional blueberries, and a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Serve with pure maple syrup. Serves 4 to 6; makes twelve 4 inch pancakes.
2 pancakes (includes blueberry and nut topping, no syrup)
Dietary Fiber: 40%
Vitamin C: 20%
Vitamin E: 15%
Vitamin B6: 10%
Reprinted with permission from Straight from the Earth: Irresistible Vegan Recipes for Everyone by Myra Goodman and Marea Goodman and published by Chronicle Books, 2014. Buy this book from our store: Straight from the Earth.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE