- 5 cups water
- 4 cardamom pods, cracked
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 1/4-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons tea leaves (unflavored)
- 1/4 cup sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups crushed ice
- Fresh mint sprigs, to garnish
1. Pour the water into a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the whole spices and lower the heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, add the tea leaves and sugar, and cover again. Let the mixture stand for another 5 minutes. Stir well until the sugar is fully dissolved.
3. Strain into a jug, discard the spices and tea leaves, and let cool. Add the lemon juice and crushed ice, and refrigerate until required. Serve in chilled glasses garnished with sprits of fresh mint.
Click here for the main article, “A Sweet Taste of India.”