Sizzling Herbal Burgers: Jamaican Sesame Mint Burgers
Use your favorite flavor combinations for an international flare.
Jamaican Sesame Mint Burgers
Makes 4 to 6 servings
This sweet and salty combination makes me never want to eat an ordinary beef patty again! Simple mayonnaise is enough to dress up this one; its subtle flavor complements the sweet pineapple, hint of mint and rich sesame flavor.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- ½ teaspoon salt
- One 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, divided
- About ¼ cup quick oats
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Pineapple rings, for garnish
- 4 to 6 sesame buns
- Combine beef, honey, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, ginger, mint, salt and 1/2 cup of the crushed pineapple, drained. Reserve remaining pineapple and juice for basting sauce. Add oats as needed to help burgers stay together.
- Heat juice, wine, soy sauce and brown sugar in a sauce pan on low to medium heat until thickened.
- Form patties and grill or fry. As they cook, baste the burgers with the sauce intermittently.
- Serve on a toasted sesame bun topped with a pineapple ring dowsed with some of the remaining basting sauce and your favorite burger toppings.
Shake Up Your Holidays with Herbal Cocktails
Create holiday buzz about your secret ingredients with chef David Burns’ uncommon libations.
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.