Healthy Holiday Treats
By Erin Dooner
The holiday dessert table is usually piled high with refined white flour, refined white sugar and plenty of highly processed vegetable oils. Our guide to healthier baking will show you how to replace these ingredients with wholesome versions in ways that boost both nutrition and flavor. You’ll love applesauce and pumpkin purée in muffins and cakes; mashed banana in cookies; avocados or black beans in your brownies (we promise!); ancient grains and whole grains in your cakes; and much more.
Healthy Baking Substitutions
Replace 1 cup white flour in…
• Any baking recipe: 1 cup whole-wheat flour
• Brownies: 1 cup puréed black beans
• Cakes, cookies, sweet breads: 1 cup nut flour
• Cakes, cookies, pancakes: 1⁄3 cup coconut flour plus 1 extra egg.
Replace 1 cup sugar in…
• Any baking recipe: 1 cup unsweetened applesauce.
• Cakes, cookies, sweet breads: 1 teaspoon liquid stevia, or 2 tablespoons stevia powder plus 1⁄3 cup mashed fruit.
Replace 1 cup vegetable oil in…
• Cakes, cookies: 1 cup mashed banana
• Dark baked goods: 3⁄4 cup prunes plus 1⁄4 cup boiling water (blended)
• Brownies, chocolate cookies: 1 cup puréed avocado
• Muffins, sweet breads: 1 cup applesauce
Replace 1 cup frosting on…
• Cakes, cookies, cupcakes: 1 cup meringue
Replace chocolate chips or cocoa powder with…
• Raw cacao powder or cocoa nibs
Healthy Holiday Recipes
Cooking with Herbs
Boost the flavor quotient of your meals by becoming an expert at cooking with herbs, with our useful guide to culinary herbs.
Herbs for Digestion: Bitters on the Go Recipe
Combine tinctures in this recipe to make a quick, easy, and clean concoction. Tuck a bottle of Bitters On The Go into your purse or travel bag for portable digestive support.
Mulling Spice Bag
This spice bag is simple to make, and a perfect addition to your next beverage!