Artesia, New Mexico
Makes 6 waffles
These savory waffles are delicious at brunch. The leftover pesto keeps well in the freezer.
• 2 cups pancake or waffle mix
• 1 1/3 cups low-fat milk
• 1 egg
• 3 tablespoons pesto (recipe below)
• 3 tablespoons grated Cheddar cheese
1. Stir together all of the ingredients. Pour some of the batter into a hot waffle iron and bake until the steaming stops. Remove the waffle and hold in a warm oven while you cook the remaining waffles.
• 1 cup fresh basil leaves
• 1 to 2 cloves garlic
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Process the basil and garlic in a blender or food processor until well chopped. Add the olive oil and process for 5 seconds, then add the Parmesan cheese and process another 5 seconds, or until the mixture is well blended. Season with the salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Back toThe Kitchen Table.