These peppers make an ultra-easy appetizer. Bring just the amount you plan to use to room temperature and serve them on toasted crostini, with or without cheese.
• 1 pound ripe sweet peppers
• 4 to 6 cloves garlic, diced
• Handful each of fresh basil, parsley and oregano leaves
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• About 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
1. Using your oven’s broiler, a gas or charcoal grill, or the flame of a gas burner, carefully char peppers until the outer skins are black all the way around. Set aside to cool, then slip off and discard skins. Slice into strips and discard seeds.
2. Toss peppers in garlic, herbs and salt. Add to pint jar and cover completely with oil. Refrigerate and use for about a month.
For more recipes for preserving food check out our End-of-Summer Food Preservation Guide.
Subscribe to Mother Earth Living!
Welcome to Mother Earth Living, the authority on green lifestyle and design. Each issue of Mother Earth Living features advice to create naturally healthy and nontoxic homes for yourself and your loved ones. With Mother Earth Living by your side, you’ll discover all the best and latest information you want on choosing natural remedies and practicing preventive medicine; cooking with a nutritious and whole-food focus; creating a nontoxic home; and gardening for food, wellness and enjoyment. Subscribe to Mother Earth Living today to get inspired on the art of living wisely and living well.
Save Money & a Few Trees!
Pay now with a credit card and take advantage of our earth-friendly automatic renewal savings plan. You’ll save an additional $5 and get six issues of Mother Earth Living for just $14.95! (Offer valid only in the U.S.)
Or, choose Bill Me and pay just $19.95.
Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved | Ogden Publications, Inc., 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, Kansas 66609-1265
Special Interest Websites : Great Green Careers • Herbs for Health • Good Things to Eat