Baskets are a great household accessory. With a wide variety of shapes and colors, baskets can enhance your home's décor while still serving a purpose. They make for great storage, and placing them at strategic points around your home can help to reduce clutter. Here are some storage and décor ideas for using baskets around your home:
Place Global Sistergoods' telephone wire bowls by the front door to hold keys and mail. SERRV's Zambales wall basket will help you keep your kitchen clutter-free! Photos Courtesy Global Sistergoods and SERRV.
Kitchen and Entryway
• Place a medium-sized, tabletop basket by the front door to hold keys, sunglasses, mail or anything else that you might want to drop the minute you walk in the door but will need to keep track of later.
• Display fruit and organize your kitchen by gathering your produce in a shallow fruit basket.
• Free up countertop space in your kitchen by hanging a long, thin basket on the wall to hold kitchen utensils.
• In the bedroom, place a small basket on a dresser or night table to collect your wallet, spare change and other pocket-sized valuables such as jewelry and glasses.
• Store throw pillows or extra blankets in a fashionable basket at the end of your bed.
• Throw dirty clothes in a lidded basket in your closet or under a bathroom counter.
• Use lidded nesting baskets to hold bathroom essentials such as cotton balls, band-aids and cotton swabs.
• Organize your bathroom closet using a series of small storage baskets.
• Keep children’s toys out of sight by storing them in a lidded basket.
• Store old magazines in a basket by the sofa.
Toss your laundry in Ten Thousand Villages' lidded hamper, made in Bangladesh. The Kaisa storage basket from Ten Thousand Villages is perfect for holding toys, blankets, pillows and anything else you want to keep out of sight. Photos Courtesy Ten Thousand Villages.
While it could be easy to pick up some generic baskets for storage at your local department or home décor store, baskets made by fair trade artisans will add a touch of character and culture to your home’s décor. Your purchase will also support artisans in other countries, helping them to earn a decent living and provide for themselves and their families.
To find fair trade baskets, visit these sites:
• SERRVIndigo Arts