Normally I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. Creating a list of well-intended, but unlikely to complete to-dos just makes me feel guilty. Better to not make any resolutions at all.
A survey conducted by Tiller LLC found that 53 percent of Americans plan to make a green New Year's resolution this year. Photo By lism./Courtesy Flickr
During my internship with Natural Home this year, I’ve learned the importance of living a green lifestyle. In 2010, I plan to continue to green my life, baby step by baby step.
It appears that many Americans agree.
According to the 2009 Tiller Social Action Survey conducted by Tiller LLC, a consultancy company that creates advocacy marketing programs for corporations, 53 percent of American adults plan to make a green New Year’s resolution this year.
Mathew Greenwald & Associates, a market research firm, conducted an online survey of 1000 adults over the age of 21 between November 27 and December 2.
The survey gave respondents a list of environmentally responsible lifestyle changes. These were the top four:
• 85 percent of respondents said it was at least somewhat likely that they would reduce household energy consumption in 2010
• 84 percent of respondents said they would recycle more
• 76 percent of respondents said they would buy from environmentally responsible companies
• 72 percent of respondents said it was at least somewhat likely that they will bring a reusable bag to the grocery store compared to only 42 percent two years ago
The survey also found these results:
• Women are more likely to have “green guilt” than men. Forty-one percent of women said that they have felt guilty recently about not living a greener lifestyle compared to 27 percent of men.
• 76 percent of respondents moderated their personal or household energy use in 2009
• 47 percent of respondents bought products from an environmentally or socially responsible company in 2009
• 50 percent of respondents declined to buy a product in 2009 out of concern for the product’s impact on the environment
Do you have a green New Year’s resolution? Tell me what it is in the comment section.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE