Photo courtesy water.org.
WHY THEY’RE CRUCIAL: When you step into the bathroom, do you consider the importance of the most basic, essential personal-care item we use? It’s water. Safe water has the power to transform lives. Worldwide, 750 million people lack access to clean drinking water (that’s almost 2.5 times the population of the U.S.!), and every day more than 2,000 people die as a result. For more than 20 years, water.org has pioneered water and sanitation solutions that help give communities hope, health and a future.
WHAT THEY DO: For just $25, water.org can give someone access to safe water.
• Work with well-vetted local partners who understand the community’s culture
• Engage the community at every level of a project to ensure community ownership for long-term viability
• Respond to community demand when approaching project selection
• Hold intensive seminars throughout a project to emphasize the link between hygiene and health
HOW WE CAN HELP: Throughout the duration of this issue, we’re raising funds to help spread access to clean water across the world. To join our efforts, visit our water.org fundraiser. Or mail donations directly to water.org at 920 Main, Suite 1800, Kansas City, Missouri, 64105. Include the fundraiser name, Mother Earth Living Gives Back, on the envelope or check, if you wish. Our goal is to collect $2,500 for water.org.
DID YOU KNOW
• Every minute, a child dies of a water-related disease.
• Diarrhea caused by inadequate drinking water, sanitation and hand hygiene kills an estimated 842,000 people every year globally, or about 2,300 people per day.
• Women and children collectively spend 140 million hours per day collecting water, which takes time away from education, work and raising their families.
• More people have a mobile phone than a toilet.