Photo by iStock.
WHY THEY'RE CRUCIAL: We want everyone, not just the more fortunate among us, to have the chance to relish the joy and abundance of the holiday season. Unfortunately, more than 46.5 million people face hunger in the U.S., including 12 million children and 7 million seniors. The good news is that for 35 years, Feeding America has worked to bridge the gap between food waste and those in need. The Feeding America network of food banks secure donated food from farmers, manufacturers, retailers and government organizations. These donations are distributed to local food pantries and meal programs around the country, providing more than 3 billion meals to people across the U.S.
WHAT THEY DO:
• Run a network of 200 food banks across the country
• Provide safe and nurturing places for children to have a meal
• Distribute food that helps seniors meet their specific nutritional needs
• Advocate on behalf of food-insecure Americans through a policy staff based in Washington, D.C., and through the Hunger Action Center, a grassroots online advocacy center
HOW WE CAN HELP: Throughout the duration of this issue, we’re collecting donations to this important charity. To join our efforts, visit Feeding America. Or mail donations directly to Feeding America at P.O. Box 96749, Washington, D.C. 20090-6749. Include the fundraiser name, Mother Earth Living Gives Back, on the envelope or check, if you wish. It’s our goal to collect $2,500 for Feeding America.
DID YOU KNOW...
• 15.8 million children lived in food-insecure households in 2013.
• 7 million seniors age 60 and older are served by Feeding America each year—as well as nearly 6 million adults between the ages of 50 and 59.
• In 2013, 14 percent of households nationwide were food-insecure.
• Food insecurity exists in every county in America.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE