Photo courtesy Dress for Success
This issue’s charity: Dress for Success
Why they’re crucial: The effects of poverty are long-lasting, and they’re particularly hard on women and their families. To improve their quality of life, it’s vital that every woman has the skills and confidence needed to find and keep a job. Since 1997, Dress for Success Worldwide has helped more than 850,000 women by providing a network of professional support, development tools and work attire. Women referred to Dress for Success are partnered with a staff member who helps them search for jobs, create resumes and prepare for interviews. The organization’s Suiting Program provides each client with a specially selected career suit, cosmetics, footwear and accessories. Dress for Success then provides clients who find work with a full week’s worth of professional attire.
What they do:
• Collect and distribute donated professional attire.
• Provide women looking for work with valuable professional training and coaching.
• Create a support network for recently employed women to help with professional and financial skills.
• Provide a 10-week intensive workshop series, including networking seminars and job search support, for participants in the organization’s Suiting Program who haven’t secured employment.
How we can help: Throughout the duration of this issue, we’re collecting donations to this important charity. To join our efforts, visit dressforsuccess.org. Or mail donations directly to Dress for Success at 32 E. 31st St., 7th floor, New York, New York 10016. Include the fundraiser name, Mother Earth Living Gives Back, on the envelope or check, if you wish. It’s our goal to collect $2,500 for Dress for Success.
Did you know...
• The poverty gap between men and women widens significantly between the ages of 18 and 24.
• On average, the women participating in Dress for Success are raising two to three children.
• 23 percent of mothers are out of the workforce, compared with 1 percent of fathers.
• 75% of women who are part of Dress for Success’ Professional Women’s Group retained their jobs after one year.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE