Sometime or another we will experience a time when we are alone. Some people fear being alone for various reasons. The first step is to become comfortable with yourself and having the self-confidence that you will be able to manage being alone. There is nothing wrong with being alone. If being alone bothers you then seeing a counselor can help you with these issues.
In the meantime here are seven tips on overcoming the fear of being alone.
1. Find An Activity: Find an activity that you enjoy and where you can meet a lot of people. Doing something that you like will make you happy and will increase your chances of making friends.
2. Spend Time With Animals: Spending time with an animal or pet can help us feel better. Animals can be good company to all of us, whether we are alone or not. There are many local shelters that could use your time and talents.
3. Helping Others: There are many people out there who could benefit from your time and skill sets. Helping others can give you a source of pride and accomplishment, and may also lead to friendships.
4. It Could Be Worse: It isn't fun being alone, but sometimes there are worse things. For instance, imagine that you are married or stuck in a relationship that you can't get out of, which also makes you miserable. As a result you are stuck living with someone that you can't stand and makes you depressed. With this viewpoint, being alone doesn't sound that bad.
5. Be Constructive: Sitting around and doing nothing will not make things any better, whether it is dealing with the fear of being alone or something else. Take it one day at a time and stay committed in trying to solve your problem.
6. Things Can Change: Nothing remains the same forever. No one can predict the future with 100 percent accuracy. Events change all of the time. Even if the thing that you feared does happen, there are circumstances and factors that you can't predict which can be used to your advantage. You never know when the help and answers you are looking for will come to you.
7. You'tr Not the Only Who Is Alone: Remember that everyone deals with loneliness sometime in their life. Focus on your life and don't compare yourself to others. Continue to seek friendships with other people and try not to feel sorry for yourself. There are kinds of people in various circumstances, so don't assume that you are the only who is alone.