The contrast of colors on this Golden Beet Salad with Cider Vinegar Dressing make it a beautiful salad for a dinner party or holiday meal.
The Sprouted Kitchen by Sara Forte (Ten Speed Press, 2012) features 100 tempting recipes that take advantage of fresh produce, whole grains, unsaturated fats, and natural sugar alternatives—with vivid flavors and seasonal simplicity at the forefront. This recipe for Golden Beet Salad with Cider Vinegar Dressing comes from chapter 2: Salads and Sides. You can purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: The Sprouted Kitchen.
Serves 4 to 6
• 5 golden beets
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
• Sea salt
• 3 cups mâche or other tender greens
• 1 tablespoon walnut oil
• Freshly ground pepper
• 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
• 1/2 cup ricotta salata or fresh goat cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Rinse the beets and cut off the greens, saving them for another use. Rub the beets with the olive oil, wrap in foil, and place on a baking sheet (in case they leak). Bake until you can pierce through the middle of each beet with a knife, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool.
3. While the beets are cooking, gently bring the vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat until it is reduced by a third. Remove from the heat and let cool.
4. When the beets are cool, use a paring knife to remove the skins, which should peel off very easily. Cut each beet into thin slices using a sharp knife. Sprinkle them with salt and toss them in the reduced vinegar.
5. Toss the mâche with the walnut oil and a few grinds of pepper. Top the mâche with the beets, walnut pieces, and cheese. Use a spoon to drizzle the remaining vinegar on top, as desired. Serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from The Sprouted Kitchen by Sara Forte, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE