September 2019 Could-Do Calendar
1. Our favorite holiday, Eat an Extra Dessert Day, is on September 4. Enjoy another helping of your chosen sweet treat!
2. Pot up your garden herbs to bring indoors, and enjoy their freshness all winter long.
Photo by Getty Images/rez-art
3. What better way to use homegrown produce than whipping up a batch of guac for Guacamole Day on September 16?
4. Maybe September 26, Johnny Appleseed Day, will inspire you to plant a fruit tree! If you don’t have the space, enjoy an apple-centric meal to celebrate.
5. Did you know you can dig up tomato plants and hang them upside down in a dry, sheltered location to encourage those last green fruits to ripen?
Elderberry vs Poke Berry Identification
Learn to distinguish elderberry (Sambucus canadensis, s.nigra) from poisonous pokeberry.
Harvest Like a Pro
Make the most of these summer garden favorites with expert tips for harvesting, storing and preserving.
The Effects of Nature on Mental and Physical Health
Science is proving that time spent outdoors can have a calming, rejuvenating effect on your mental and physical health.