October 2019 Could-Do Calendar
1. Enjoy a bike ride, a local park, or even a card game with friends to observe Frugal Fun Day on October 5.
2. Warm up with mulled cider! The recipe can be as simple as heating apple cider, cinnamon sticks, allspice berries, cloves, and orange slices together on the stovetop.
Photo by Adobe Stock/nerudol
3. Have you ever made pasta at home, or attempted tomato sauce? October 25, World Pasta Day, is the perfect day to try!
4. ‘Tis the season to plant new trees and shrubs; they’ll have time to put down roots without expending energy on growing foliage.
5. October 31, Carve a Pumpkin Day, is your last chance to get your jack-o’-lantern ready for Halloween night!
Elderberry vs Poke Berry Identification
Learn to distinguish elderberry (Sambucus canadensis, s.nigra) from poisonous pokeberry.
Harvest Like a Pro
Make the most of these summer garden favorites with expert tips for harvesting, storing and preserving.
The Effects of Nature on Mental and Physical Health
Science is proving that time spent outdoors can have a calming, rejuvenating effect on your mental and physical health.