December 2019 Could-Do Calendar
1. Poinsettia Day on December 12 marks the passing of botanist Joel Roberts Poinsett, who brought the blooming plant from Mexico to the U.S. (See “Post-Holiday Poinsettia Care.”)
Photo by Getty Images/petrenkod
2. Host a wreath-making party to use up the green of the season and spend time with loved ones.
3. The eight days of Hanukkah begin on December 22. Honor this time with family, community, food, and games.
4. Did you know that Christmas shares December 25 with Pumpkin Pie Day? What could be more fitting?
5. December 26 marks the beginning of Kwanzaa, during which African community and culture is celebrated.
Elderberry vs Poke Berry Identification
Learn to distinguish elderberry (Sambucus canadensis, s.nigra) from poisonous pokeberry.
Harvest Like a Pro
Make the most of these summer garden favorites with expert tips for harvesting, storing and preserving.
The Effects of Nature on Mental and Physical Health
Science is proving that time spent outdoors can have a calming, rejuvenating effect on your mental and physical health.