Enjoy a bountiful garden harvest this fall with the informative articles in this third edition of the Mother Earth News How to Grow and Preserve Your Own Food. From cover to cover, this glossy-paged guide contains tips and techniques for growing your own fruits and vegetables, and preserving them using simple, easy-to-learn techniques.
Learn how to grow winter tomatoes indoors all through the season; harvest the freshest mushrooms with the help of a do-it-yourself kit; discover how to make sauerkraut; and more. This guide includes detailed articles on extending your growing season with greenhouses and cold frames, including how to build an easy hoop house for less than $1,000. You'll also learn how to build better soil with free organic fertilizers (including two you won't even need to pay for.)
The editors of Mother Earth News have filled this 100-page guide with some of their best gardening and preserving articles. Articles include:
Author: Mother Earth News
Not only are there great articles on growing a successful garden in the MOTHER EARTH NEWS How to Grow and Preserve Your Own Food guide, you’ll also read how to make those delicious fruits and vegetables last throughout the year. Filled with helpful tips, step-by-step instructions, beautiful photographs and more, this guide contains hundreds of great ways to achieve food security for you and your family.
Almost everything you need to know about growing and preserving your own food at home is in this 100-page guide from Mother Earth News. How to Grow and Preserve Your Own Food provides excellent articles filled with tips and advice for growing a healthy, successful garden, as well as canning your leftover bounty to enjoy in those cold winter months.
Read how you can build better garden soil and make your own compost. Follow instructions for building your own mini-greenhouse with low tunnels for year-round gardening. Learn the benefits of using chickens in your garden. Discover how to grow lettuce, garlic and carrots.
Not only are there wonderful articles for planting, growing and harvesting your garden produce, there's also information-rich articles for preserving that produce. "How to Store Fresh Vegetables" shows the best crops to grow or buy, and the right way to keep them fresher longer. Save money with "Learn to Can for Homegrown Flavor" and enjoy the delicious foods all winter with this traditional preservation skill. Read how to dry your own food and herbs, brew your own cider, make sauerkraut and more.
Other articles included are:
Get more from your garden this year! This sixth edition of Mother Earth News How to Grow and Preserve Your Own Food is filled with expertly written articles on growing a successful, bountiful garden and preserving fresh vegetables and fruits. You’ll learn how to eat in sync with the seasons, make easy compost, dry and freeze produce from your garden, and more.
Discover how to have chickens in the garden by putting their manure to work and enlisting your birds for organic pest control. Learn how to grow great salads year-round. Read about freezing fruits and vegetables from your garden with straightforward freezing tips that turn your garden harvests into sensational, off-season meals. Follow simple steps to build your own solar food dehydrator.
More articles include:
Live self-sufficiently with the help of these three premium issues from MOTHER EARTH NEWS! Ditch the store-bought and pre-made life, and live off the land with these guides, each featuring more than 100 pages of content. With this special package, you’ll receive:
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: MODERN HOMESTEADING SPRING 2015
Modern Homesteading features more than 25 articles that cover off-grid living, easy food gardens, solar heating plans, preserving food, and much more.
Read how to start a no-dig, easy-care bag garden that produces 25 favorite food crops. Discover how to make a food self-sufficiency plan by estimating how much to grow or buy, and learn how to achieve food security with the help of our handy charts and guidelines. With this guide’s help, keep bees and produce fresh, delicious honey in your own backyard. Make your own herbal medicine by finding ingredients for many basic herbal remedies.
Other articles include:
• Easy, No-Knead Crusty Bread: Bake crispy, gorgeous loaves from scratch using this simple technique. All you need are a few ingredients and a blazing-hot Dutch oven for miraculous results.
• Five DIY, Low-Cost, and Multipurpose Greenhouses: Use recycled materials to create an affordable garden greenhouse so you can enjoy fresh food all year long!
• Emergency Power Options: With the right generator, you’ll be prepared when storms or blackouts leave you without electricity.
• Backyard Chicken Basics: They’re less work than house pets and more fun than a tire swing. Plus, they provide delicious, nutritious eggs.
• How to Make Yogurt, Kefir, and Cheese: Tap the health benefits of rich, tangy fermented milk products.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: SELF-RELIANCE AND COUNTRY SKILLS
This MOTHER EARTH NEWS Premium Issue will help you live off your land and save money! Inside, you’ll find the top tools for a half-acre homestead; learn to pressure can meat; source truly high-quality garden seeds; read how to raise sheep; and more.
Learn the most important self-reliance skill ever by mastering six habits to getting the right work done, the right way. Read the best staple crops for building food self-sufficiency, and fill your pantry and boost your food security by growing 10 space-efficient, calorie-rich staple crops that return high yields and store easily sans fossil fuels. Discover the benefits of the American Guinea hog; a perfect size for smaller homesteads, this heritage breed is easy to manage and provides choice meat and lard.
Other articles include:
• Winter’s Glowing Root Vegetables – Brilliant beets and cold-hardy carrots can help light up your winter meals.
• How to Make Compost – Choose from the many easy ways to make compost for increased garden productivity.
• Expert Advice for Greenhouse Growing – Build a greenhouse in your backyard and you’ll be amazed at its many use.
• Raise Sheep: Low-Maintenance Livestock – Requiring less space and capital than cattle, sheep can provide homegrown, pastured meat with terrific flavor and a powerful nutrient profile. Many sheep breeds can also help turn rocky, dry hillsides into productive pasture.
• 5 Delicious Wild Greens – Give up the war on weeds and embrace the fortifying vegetables right outside your door.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: SELF-SUFFICIENT LIVING
Become more reliant on yourself and your land with the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Premium Issue: Self-Sufficient Living. Learn how to hatch your own flock of chickens, grow food in less space, find your perfect country property, and get your own no-mortgage natural cottage. Get the best tips for keeping livestock, harnessing natural energy from a DIY wind generator, and making your own medicine. Save money and live healthily with all the best tips for living self-reliantly. Feel the true sense of accomplishment with the help of all the tips from Self-Sufficient Living.
Other articles include:
• Care and Cultivation of Permanent Garden Beds – Provide a secure habitat for the dynamic soil food web that sustains your crops by establishing permanent garden bed and paths.
• Grow Your Own Shiitake Mushrooms – Take these steps to fruit your own fungi for money, food, and fun.
• How to Make Your Own Moccasins – Take your tanned animal skins one step further by turning the leather into comfortable, durable footwear.
• Start a Work-from-Home Business – Our readers get down to business, offering advice on how to be your own boss.
• Homestead Helpers: Sheep, Cattle, Pigs, and Poultry – Livestock aren’t just useful for meat and eggs. They can mow lawns, work garden soil, dig stumps, and more!
Mother Earth News Winter Comfort Foods is packed full of comfort food recipes that are wholesome and hearty. Sharing a meal with loved ones is not only a simple pleasure, but also one of the most meaningful. This issue will definitely bring the family closer together. In addition to warm and hearty meals to beat the cold, with this book you can make seasonal soups and stews, bake the best homemade pies, and much more!
Spring, summer, fall, winter! This regional guide is loaded with expert-recommended techniques as well as crop varieties so that you can break through seasonal barriers in your climate and eat from your own garden all year. Plus: • Grow Shiitake Mushrooms • Smoky Barbecued Onions • 5 Delicious Wild Greens • Craft Backyard Apple Cider • Winter Soups from the Cellar • Savory and Satisfying Venison
Format: Other/miscellaneous products
Make the most of the fall season with the help this guide offers! You will find out how to grow your best fall garden, taking advantage of the cooler temperatures that will make your vegetables taste crisp and sweet. If you protect your vegetables, you can continue harvesting fresh, crisp produce through several fall and winter months! Speaking of cooler temperatures, choose the best wood-burning stove for your home with the expert advice contained in this guide, and find the best firewood types for your needs! Other articles include: • Eight easy projects for instant energy savings – Implement these inexpensive strategies to reduce your carbon footprint and slash your energy bills. • Choose Fermented foods for health and flavor – Humans have used fermentation for centuries to preserve food. Today, we know that fermentation also makes some foods more nutritious. • Outdoor root cellars – Try these five ways to store fresh food for winter right in your garden. • Brew your own beer – Home brewing is kettles of fun, and it’s the perfect way to make your own uniquely flavored, affordable drinks. • Sweet cider roundup – Make delicious cider with this advice on the best apples and how to press them. • Emergency power options – With the right generator, you’ll be prepared when storms or blackouts leave you without electricity.
Author: MOTHER EARTH NEWS EDITORS