This Mother Earth News Collector Series provides all the knowledge needed to grow your own quick and simple organic garden! It starts with a guide for beginners, takes you through maintaining your garden naturally, and even teaches you how to store what you harvest.
Discover the benefits of planning your garden, find 10 fascinating facts about edible plants, learn about the best seeds for a bigger, better garden and gardening advice for every season!
Format: Other/miscellaneous products
Live self-sufficiently with the help of these three premium issues from MOTHER EARTH NEWS! Ditch the store-bought and pre-made life, and live off the land with these guides, each featuring more than 100 pages of content. With this special package, you’ll receive:
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: MODERN HOMESTEADING SPRING 2015
Modern Homesteading features more than 25 articles that cover off-grid living, easy food gardens, solar heating plans, preserving food, and much more.
Read how to start a no-dig, easy-care bag garden that produces 25 favorite food crops. Discover how to make a food self-sufficiency plan by estimating how much to grow or buy, and learn how to achieve food security with the help of our handy charts and guidelines. With this guide’s help, keep bees and produce fresh, delicious honey in your own backyard. Make your own herbal medicine by finding ingredients for many basic herbal remedies.
Other articles include:
• Easy, No-Knead Crusty Bread: Bake crispy, gorgeous loaves from scratch using this simple technique. All you need are a few ingredients and a blazing-hot Dutch oven for miraculous results.
• Five DIY, Low-Cost, and Multipurpose Greenhouses: Use recycled materials to create an affordable garden greenhouse so you can enjoy fresh food all year long!
• Emergency Power Options: With the right generator, you’ll be prepared when storms or blackouts leave you without electricity.
• Backyard Chicken Basics: They’re less work than house pets and more fun than a tire swing. Plus, they provide delicious, nutritious eggs.
• How to Make Yogurt, Kefir, and Cheese: Tap the health benefits of rich, tangy fermented milk products.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: SELF-RELIANCE AND COUNTRY SKILLS
This MOTHER EARTH NEWS Premium Issue will help you live off your land and save money! Inside, you’ll find the top tools for a half-acre homestead; learn to pressure can meat; source truly high-quality garden seeds; read how to raise sheep; and more.
Learn the most important self-reliance skill ever by mastering six habits to getting the right work done, the right way. Read the best staple crops for building food self-sufficiency, and fill your pantry and boost your food security by growing 10 space-efficient, calorie-rich staple crops that return high yields and store easily sans fossil fuels. Discover the benefits of the American Guinea hog; a perfect size for smaller homesteads, this heritage breed is easy to manage and provides choice meat and lard.
Other articles include:
• Winter’s Glowing Root Vegetables – Brilliant beets and cold-hardy carrots can help light up your winter meals.
• How to Make Compost – Choose from the many easy ways to make compost for increased garden productivity.
• Expert Advice for Greenhouse Growing – Build a greenhouse in your backyard and you’ll be amazed at its many use.
• Raise Sheep: Low-Maintenance Livestock – Requiring less space and capital than cattle, sheep can provide homegrown, pastured meat with terrific flavor and a powerful nutrient profile. Many sheep breeds can also help turn rocky, dry hillsides into productive pasture.
• 5 Delicious Wild Greens – Give up the war on weeds and embrace the fortifying vegetables right outside your door.
MOTHER EARTH NEWS PREMIUM: SELF-SUFFICIENT LIVING
Become more reliant on yourself and your land with the MOTHER EARTH NEWS Premium Issue: Self-Sufficient Living. Learn how to hatch your own flock of chickens, grow food in less space, find your perfect country property, and get your own no-mortgage natural cottage. Get the best tips for keeping livestock, harnessing natural energy from a DIY wind generator, and making your own medicine. Save money and live healthily with all the best tips for living self-reliantly. Feel the true sense of accomplishment with the help of all the tips from Self-Sufficient Living.
Other articles include:
• Care and Cultivation of Permanent Garden Beds – Provide a secure habitat for the dynamic soil food web that sustains your crops by establishing permanent garden bed and paths.
• Grow Your Own Shiitake Mushrooms – Take these steps to fruit your own fungi for money, food, and fun.
• How to Make Your Own Moccasins – Take your tanned animal skins one step further by turning the leather into comfortable, durable footwear.
• Start a Work-from-Home Business – Our readers get down to business, offering advice on how to be your own boss.
• Homestead Helpers: Sheep, Cattle, Pigs, and Poultry – Livestock aren’t just useful for meat and eggs. They can mow lawns, work garden soil, dig stumps, and more!
We are pairing two great Mother Earth News Collector Series together to give you the ultimate set on modern homesteading and organic gardening! The first volume in this set provides all the knowledge needed to grow your own quick and simple organic garden! It starts with a guide for beginners, takes you through maintaining your garden naturally, and even teaches you how to store what you harvest. That’s just the start of things. The second volume furnishes timeless tips and information for today’s homesteader. Inside its pages, you’ll learn all about making a living off 1.5 acres, financial planning for going off-grid, and taking a simple approach to mob grazing. Together, these editions offer more than 300 pages that provide plenty of information and inspiration for folks looking to live more simply, more securely, and more sustainably. Here are just a few of the other topics covered: • How to Choose the Right Chainsaw for Your Homestead • How to Make Cheap Garden Beds • Feed Your Flock to Boost Omega-3s • Grow More Food in a Movable Greenhouse • DIY Outdoor Cookers • Best Vegetable to Grow in the Shade • How to Tan a Deer Hide • DIY Greenhouse for Winter Growing • Easy Ways to Preserve Fresh Food • Beginning Gardening • Easy One-Pot Meals • Best Tips for Starting Seeds Indoors • Guide to Organic Pest Control • Winning Against Weeds • Grow Your Own Mushrooms • Easy DIY Garden Shed Plans • Winter Gardening Tips Get this great set today while this deal still lasts!
This first edition of this new Collector Series is packed with timeless tips and information for today’s homesteader. Our goal at Mother Earth News is to provide information and inspiration to help you live more simply, more securely, and more sustainably. Modern Homesteading is a book compiled with material organized into the following categories:
Selections from this 192-page soft-cover book include:
Mother Earth News is pleased to bring you expert advice for self-sufficient living in the new and updated Collector Series: Modern Homesteading. This special guide brings you more than 40 articles covering self-reliance living, livestock and poultry, DIY projects, gardening, food and recipes, and more. Our goal at Mother Earth News is to provide information and inspiration to help you live more simply, more securely, and more sustainably. Packed with timeless tips, beautiful photographs, and helpful charts, this collector series guide has more than enough information to get you thriving with your homestead. Whether you’re just starting out or you’ve lived your whole life with your hands in the soil, you’re sure to find some helpful information to live a modern yet simple life on the homestead. Selections from the 160-page softcover book include:
Mother Earth News has released a special double issue, The Best of Mother Earth News Collector Series! This new collector series is 192 pages of expertly written articles covering building and DIY projects, real food and cooking, gardening, homesteading, raising livestock, and natural health. The guide is filled from cover to cover with beautiful color photographs, detailed step-by-step illustrations for building projects, valuable resources, easy-to-follow recipes, and more.
Learn how you can turn that unused grain bin into a perfect house, backyard retreat, storage shed, and more. With the easy-to-follow, step-by-step directions inside this special guide, you can build a fire pit or assemble a clay-pot smoker in just one weekend. If you are a good baker and have the right kitchen setup, look into starting your own food business with the expert advice found here! Discover how vertical gardening techniques can maximum your vegetable returns by producing bigger, better cukes, beans, tomatoes, and cantaloupes. Read how to raise livestock on your homestead; the article inside this guide contains information and advice on housing, feeding, and slaughtering pigs. Ready your yard for spring and summer by discovering which naturally mosquito-repellent plants and homemade mosquito traps will help you have a less buggy summer.
Other articles include: