1 hr DURATION
40 min COOK TIME
20 min PREP TIME
4 servings SERVINGS
- 1/2 red onion, grated
- 200g courgette, grated
- 200g carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 150g smoked tofu, grated
- 2 tablespoon brown rice flour
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lime
- a pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 red chili, finely chopped
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 120 ml water
- 1 large handful of spinach leaves
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. First make the sauce. Using an ovenproof frying pan, sauté your onions in the sunflower oil for a couple of minutes until translucent. Add the garlic, cumin and paprika and continue to sauté on a low heat for a further 2 minutes when the air will start to smell wonderfully.
3. Add the chili, both types of tomatoes and the water. Turn the heat down to a low simmer and leave the sauce to reduce and develop a rich flavor - about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine all of the ingredients for the tofu balls in a bowl. Roll the mixture into little balls (you should get about 12 balls) between your hands and set aside. As you shape the balls, squeeze out any excess moisture.
5. Once the sauce has reduced down. taste and add a pinch of Himalayan salt. if necessary. Pop the spinach in the tomato sauce and stir through until completely wilted.
6. Arrange the tofu balls across the tomato sauce, drizzle with a touch of oil and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the tofu balls are golden brown and the tomato sauce is beautifully thick.
More from Alkaline Cleanse:• Carrot and Lime Soup Recipe
• Sweet Potato and Fennel Seed Rosti Recipe
• Carrot Noodles with Avocado Dressing Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Alkaline Cleanse by Natasha Corrett and published by Sterling Epicure, 2016. Photos by Lisa Linder. Buy this book from our store: Alkaline Cleanse.