- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 piece (1 inch) gingerroot, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, chunky or creamy
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fish or oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin, honey, or agave
- Place all ingredients in a mini food processor, and process until smooth, or to desired consistency, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if you prefer a thinner sauce.
This pesto makes a delicious dipping sauce for Japanese gyozas and other dumplings, spring rolls, and fresh summer rolls. I also use it to accompany seafood and to drizzle over vegetables.
Yield: About 1-1/2 cups.
Discover more great recipes in Herbal Pesto Recipes.
Excerpted with permission from The Pesto Cookbook © by Olwen Woodier, published by Storey Publishing. Photography by Lara Ferroni.