- 1-1⁄2 cups finely diced cooked chicken (about 8 ounces or 2 small chicken breast halves)
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise or salad dressing spread
- 1 cup finely diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced white onion
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, dill, tarragon, and/or thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 gluten-free flour tortilla wraps
- 4 small lettuce leaves
- In a medium bowl, stir together the chicken, mayonnaise, celery, onion, pickle relish, herbs, celery salt, and almonds until blended. Or whirl the ingredients in a food processor until well blended for a more shredded consistency. Taste and add salt and pepper, if desired.
- Soften the tortillas. For each wrap, spread one-quarter of the chicken salad (about 1⁄2 cup) down the middle of the tortilla. Top with a lettuce leaf. Gently roll one side of the tortilla toward the center and finish rolling into a loose roll to create a wrap. Place seam side down on a serving plate, using a toothpick to keep the wrap rolled, if necessary. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, and serve immediately.
580 calories; 24g protein; 31g total fat; 4g fiber; 52g carbohydrates; 74mg cholesterol; 796mg sodium
How to Soften Gluten-Free Flour TortillasStore-bought gluten-free flour tortillas might not be pliable enough to roll into a wrap without breaking, especially when refrigerated, frozen, or slightly stale. However, they can be made pliable if you steam each tortilla on a splatter guard (a flat, handled screen that keeps bacon from splattering while frying) set over a skillet of simmering water for 5 to 10 seconds. They will soften very quickly, so watch carefully and remove from the heat before they get soggy. If you are steaming several tortillas at a time, place the steamed tortillas between sheets of parchment paper so they stay warm and soft while steaming the remaining tortillas. They are best when served immediately after steaming.
More Recipes from Gluten-Free 101:• Sorghum Salad Recipe • Gluten-Free Veggie Pizza Recipe
Recipe reprinted with permission from the publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, from Gluten-Free 101: The Essential Beginner's Guide to Easy Gluten-Free Cooking by Carol Fenster. Photographs by Jason Wyche. Copyright 2014. Purchase this book from our store: Gluten-Free 101.
It can be overwhelming and frustrating to learn that you, or someone you love, can no longer eat gluten. Carol Fenster aims to give you a positive and simple transition with Gluten-Free 101 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014). Fenster provides recipes for everyday favorites, tips for mastering gluten-free baking and an extensive product shelf, proving that going gluten-free can be fun and delicious. The chicken salad wraps recipe that follows is excerpted from “Small Bites.”
Purchase this book from the Mother Earth Living store: Gluten-Free 101.
Chicken salad sandwiches are delicious, but they are more contemporary when made with flour tortillas to create homemade wraps. There are several brands of gluten-free flour tortillas on the market, but my favorite is Rudi’s (available in plain, spinach, and fiesta flavors); they are quite pliable and make terrific wraps.