5 hr 15 min DURATION
5 hr COOK TIME
15 min PREP TIME
8-10 servings SERVINGS
- 1 pint [230 g] blackberries
- 1 pint [230 g] blueberries
- 1 cup [240 ml] unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Line dehydrator trays with nonstick fruit-leather sheets.
2. Combine the blackberries, blueberries, applesauce, honey, and lemon juice in a large food processor (or blender). Process into a smooth purée.
3. Using an offset spatula or the back of a spoon, spread out the purée on the prepared trays, making the edges a little thicker than the center. Dry at 135 degrees F [57 degrees C] for 4 to 6 hours, until the mixture is leathery and dry to the touch on both sides. (You can speed up the process by peeling the mixture off the nonstick sheet and turning it over after about 3 hours, though this is not necessary.) Run a spatula under the mixture to loosen it, and let cool completely.
4. Peel the fruit leather off the nonstick sheet. Cut into single-serving portions and roll up in plastic wrap or parchment paper. (If using parchment, tie or tape the roll to keep it together.)
5. Store in an airtight container, preferably with a silica gel packet to extend freshness, in a dark place at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
More from Dried & True:• Semidried Tomato Petals Recipe
• Smoky Maple Salmon Jerky Recipe
Reprinted with permission from Dried & True by Sara Dickerman and published by Chronicle Books, 2016. Buy this book from our store: Dried & True.