- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus more to form patties
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into 1⁄4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Spiced Black Beans
- 1-1⁄2 cups Cumin-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1⁄2 cups Green Rice
- 1⁄3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 to 6 toasted whole-wheat or sprouted-grain buns
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 bunch arugula or microgreens
- 1 small jar sliced pickled beets or sun-dried tomatoes
- Mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil until shimmering, and add onion rounds. Sauté until fragrant and beginning to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Stir every few minutes to avoid sticking. Add a little bit of water and reduce heat to low if onions begin to color too quickly before softening.
2. Reduce heat and add garlic. Stir well and cook for another minute.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, add onion-garlic mixture, beans, sweet potatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt and spices. Pulse to form a thick, chunky puree. Spoon mixture out into a large bowl, fold in rice and stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate mixture for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
4. Remove mixture from fridge. Lightly oil your hands and divide mixture into 4 or 6 equal portions. Shape each into patties about 1-inch-thick.
5. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat and set patties into skillet (you’ll likely only be able to cook 3 to 4 at a time, depending on size of skillet). Cook patty on each side for about 4 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown. Add a little more oil to the pan if they begin to stick. Serve on buns with desired garnishes and condiments.
Read More:• Super Efficient Recipes
• Spiced Black Beans Recipe
• Green Rice with Spinach Recipe
After you’ve prepped the mix the night before, these hearty, delicious burgers are simple to pull together and make a wholesome meal paired with a side salad or some simple steamed vegetables. Cooked or uncooked, the burgers keep well for up to three days covered in the refrigerator, or you can freeze uncooked burgers for up to three months. Cooked burgers can be reheated in a 325-degree oven for 10 minutes.