Spotlight on Turmeric: Green Beans with Turmeric Glaze
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Turmeric is a natural flavor mate to any dried or fresh bean. This is a particularly good recipe to use with fresh, tender beans.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- Simmer beans with a few tablespoons water until just tender (4 to 10 minutes). Drain and return to pan.
- Drizzle remaining ingredients over beans in the order listed. Toss together and serve hot or warm.
Click here for the original article, Spotlight on Turmeric.
Salsify, Vegetable Oyster, Goatsbeard
The salsifies are spring weeds.Three species are found all over North America, introduced from Europe. Salsify, also called vegetable oyster and oyster plant, Tragopogon porrifolius, is a purple-flowered plant with a flower shaped like a dandelion, narrow leaves, and a seed head like a large dandelion (about the size of a tennis ball). Meadow salsify, […]
Foraging for Sustainability and Nourishment: Spotlight Garlic Mustard
by Linda Conroy Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata) is a plant that is often identified as a nuisance. Gardeners and farmers work to eradicate it and fail to see the potential food source that this plant offers. While I understand that it is quite vigorous and it does exude sinigrin a chemical that inhibits other plants, […]
Motherwort – its Uses and Benefits
Look to motherwort leonurus cardiaca, for herbal care to calm anxiety, fear and high blood pressure.