• 1 pound chicken or turkey (combination of breasts and thighs)
• 3 ounces chicken liver
• 1 large sweet potato or yam, baked and chopped
• 1/2 pound broccoli florets or stalks
• 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
• 1/4 teaspoon iodized salt
• 1 teaspoon eggshell powder or bonemeal
• 100 IU vitamin E
• 1/2 teaspoon wild salmon or cod liver oil
1. In a sauté pan, cook the chicken and liver until the juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
2. Allow the meat to cool slightly, then pulse it in a food processor until ground. (You can experiment with the texture.)
3. Place sweet potato, broccoli, parsley, salt and supplements in the workbowl of a food processor and pulse until thoroughly mixed.
4. Mix the vegetables and meat thoroughly. Refrigerate or freeze immediately in individual portion-size packets.
Lynn Alley is a Southern California-based food and wine writer who has cooked for her pets for years.
Click here for the main article, Pet Corner: Try Natural Homemade Dog Food .