Armed with a passion for natural health, real food and self-empowerment, doctor Frank King is working hard to help people take control of their health in his book The Healing Revolution: Eight Essentials to Awaken Abundant Life, Naturally. A naturopath and chiropractor, King started his first private practice in 1979 and is currently based in Asheville, North Carolina. Here, we’ve taken the time to ask him a few questions about his outlook on healing naturally and what it means to take control of your health.
Q: What empowered you to take control of your health?
A: Like anyone else, I have experienced obstacles throughout my life. Looking back at each crossroad along the way, I was able to connect the dots and see the bigger picture that natural health empowerment was the only way for me.
It began when I was just 5 years old. I had some health problems that kept me from living a childhood that every parent wants for their children. In fact, I was so weak and frail that my parents were worried that I might not survive. I was tired and lethargic all the time, and I couldn’t put any meat on my skinny bones. After many doctor’s visits, my parents took me to an unconventional doctor who was known to be successful with some of the more unusual cases. It didn’t take long for him to discover that my issue was severe food allergies! My parents changed my diet and I began experiencing results. My energy returned and I was able, for the first time, to run and play and keep up with the other kids. I gained confidence and became more competitive. I was finally able to become the kid that every parent wishes for their child, and all it took was an understanding of my body, food, and nature, and how they are designed to work together.
I’ve been practicing and teaching these natural health techniques and principles for the past 40 years. This knowledge, like all knowledge, is self-empowerment. I want everyone to enjoy abundant health. This is the foundation of what naturally became The Healing Revolution.
Q: What is The Healing Revolution?
A: The Healing Revolution is a mindset. It is about personal empowerment. It is about awakening the incredible healing powers within each person by balancing the eight essential areas of life: the human spirit, nutrition, water, sleep, fitness, nature, relationships and hands-on healing techniques. Once you recognize that the power is yours, following the eight essentials becomes natural. The key to understanding these essentials is found in the foundational truths of The Healing Revolution. Everything else builds upon the following truths.
• You are designed to live long and well.
• The power to heal is within you.
• There is no such thing as an incurable disease.
• You are a whole being: the health of your body, mind and spirit are intertwined.
• Your lifestyle choices have a significant impact upon your health and happiness.
• Many of today’s foods, activities and lifestyle choices inhibit your body’s ability to heal and restore itself.
• A natural lifestyle removes negative health inhibitors.
• A natural lifestyle frees the healing powers and potential within you.
• You need not work harder, but smarter, by making small changes in the Eight Essential areas.
• Your attitude will determine your altitude. To reach the highest heights, have an open mind and a positive attitude.
• Your body is the doctor and the healer.
Q: Our diet plays an important role in our overall health. What are some of your favorite health-boosting foods during the summer?
A: I believe the principles are the same, no matter the season.
• Eat fresh, whole, and organic foods whenever possible.
• Grow your own vegetables and fruits, based on what grows in your location. If it’s not feasible to have your own garden, take part in a community garden or local CSA, or shop at your local farmers market.
• Practice portion control by eating smaller meals more often. The summertime is a great time to enjoy the delicious simplicity of picking right off the vine. No cooking needed! Think blueberries, raspberries and melons.
• Eat fermented foods.
• Supplement your diet with my life-giving formula, called “Life Formula.” It is certified organic and contains 71 ingredients that support whole health nutrition and succeeds where our busy lives may sometimes keep us from getting all the nutrients our body needs.
• Drink more water. Oftentimes, when people feel they are hungry, they are really thirsty. Quenching thirst will often take away hunger.
Q: In your book you say that many people are dehydrated and don’t even know it. What are some of the health risks associated with not drinking enough water? How does diet play a role?
A: The third essential is water, but not just any water. Pure, spring water is my choice, and plenty of it. How do you know how much you should drink? Your body will tell you. Of course, we all get busy and sometimes don’t drink enough. How do you know if you’re dehydrated? Your body will tell you that, too. Try my three easy and free tests that you can do in your own home, or even at work:
1. Urine color: Urine may be deep yellow when you awake in the morning. Otherwise it should be clear to pale yellow. Darker urine is a sign of dehydration. (Unless you are taking “B” complex vitamins; then your urine will be more yellow.)
2. Skin pinch test: Pinch the skin on the back of your hand and hold for three seconds. Release. The ridge from the pinch should be gone in less than a second; otherwise you are likely dehydrated.
3. Tongue test: Take your index finger and rub the center of your tongue. It should feel smooth, like wet wax paper. If it feels rough, you are dehydrated.
Q: In your book, you identify fitness as one of the eight essential areas people can fully integrate the whole mind, body and spirit. Do you have a fitness routine, and if so, what does it involve?
A: Fitness is one of my favorite essentials. And, believe it or not, I truly find that less is more. It’s all in your approach.
I begin with seven to 10 minutes a day of my “ETs” or “Energizing Techniques.” Then, all I need to do is 10 minutes of strength-training exercises, five days per week. These techniques include deep breathing, which is essential for oxygen (I call it Vitamin O) and blood flow in the body as well as lymphatic flow and digestive health. Quick bursts of maximum energy once or twice a week, doing sprints on foot or on a mobile or stationary bike, cause an increase in HGH, which is a naturally occurring chemical that keeps you young and vigorous. It is the fountain of youth! Read more about how deep breathing increases our oxygen intake in my blog.
The fitness chapter of my book comes with instructions on how to perform the ETs and other techniques that I developed from success with patience in over 40 years of practice. They are the most powerful fitness tools in The Healing Revolution. They revitalize and restore physical and mental health by using therapeutic postures, range of motion, breathing, stretching and contracting. They bring balance, coordination, muscle tone and strengthening of muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints, both extrinsically and intrinsically. Moreover, each muscle corresponds to an internal organ by way of acupuncture meridians and neural pathways, so your organ health is also improved by Energizing Techniques.
The Healing Revolution empowers everyone to reach their highest health potential and awaken their own abundant life. Find more free health education, how-to techniques and videos on the website, King Bio.