I love skin care products that have multiple uses. Not only do they stretch your spending dollars further, but they also can offer options for customizing to your skin’s individual needs.
This skin care “tea” is easy to prepare and can be used several ways to support your particular skin type. I have used this same blend on several clients, all with completely different skin care concerns, and had great results.
The chickweed cools skin, relieves inflammation and helps treat acne breakouts. The calendula, lavender and chamomile soothe, calm and heal skin. Rose adds a luxurious astringency, while the peppermint (also astringent) adds an additional cooling property. Licorice root and elderflower have been known to mildly lighten skin (when used over time) to achieve a more even tone. Licorice also provides a moist, soothing effect, while elderflower can help to soften skin, improve the appearance of wrinkles and relieve breakouts.
As an added bonus, this blend looks and smells amazing! It is not only a treat for your skin, but for your senses, too!
A beautiful blend of plants to care for your skin. They are as pretty as they are pampering.
• 2 teaspoons dried chickweed
• 2 teaspoons dried calendula flowers
• 2 teaspoons dried lavender buds
• 2 teaspoons dried rose petals (be sure they are organic)
• 2 teaspoons dried peppermint leaf
• 2 teaspoons dried licorice root
• 2 teaspoons dried chamomile flowers
• 2 teaspoons dried elderflower
1. Simply mix all of the dried plants in a small bowl, then store them in an airtight glass container.
2. You can then customize how you use the blend as needed. Here are just a few ideas…
Use this tea powdered with a bit of ground oats, honey, oil and cream for a luxurious facial mask.
For normal/combination skin:
• Grind the tea in a clean coffee grinder until it becomes a finely ground powder. Add this powder to a bit of water or a cream/gel facial cleanser to form a paste and use it as an exfoliating facial scrub.
• Mix the ground powder with a powdered clay (French green clay or kaolin would be lovely), a squirt of honey and a bit of warm water or herbal infusion to make a facial mask. Apply to clean skin for 15 minutes, rinse and follow with your favorite toner or moisturizer.
• Throw a handful of the tea into a bowl of just boiled water. Drape your head with a towel, place your previously cleansed face a comfortable distance from the bowl and steam your face for 5 to 10 minutes to detoxify and hydrate skin. Follow with a splash of warm water and your favorite toner and moisturizer.
Note: Those with rosacea or broken capillaries should avoid using a facial steam or facial scrub. Those with active acne should also avoid the use of facial scrubs.
A facial steam can help to detoxify and hydrate skin.
Photos by Camille Leinbach
For dry/mature skin:
• Use ground tea powder mixed with rosehip seed oil (or another oil of your choice), ground oats, honey and cream to make a facial mask. Apply to clean skin for 15 minutes, rinse and follow with your favorite toner or moisturizer.
• Make an infused oil with the blend and use it daily underneath your regular moisturizer or as a bath oil.
For sensitive/rosacea/acne/sunburned/inflamed/irritated skin:
• Make an infusion of the blend, allowing it to steep for 10 minutes or longer. Cool and apply it to skin using a spray bottle. Alternately, you can completely soak cotton or a cloth with the infusion and apply to the affected area for several minutes for relief.
For all skin types:
• Enjoy an infusion of the blend internally. Yum!
How would you use this blend?
Camille is a licensed aesthetician and operator of Autumn Moon Aesthetics. Her holistic skin care practice incorporates natural, handmade products, herbal therapy, aromatherapy and energetic bodywork. She encourages individuals to become more connected to their body and the Earth by creating natural products themselves at home. Visit her blog at www.skincareforyoursoul.blogspot.com .
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE