Round out your medicine cabinet with this basic Skin-Soothing Calendula Salve.
Use this Skin-Soothing Calendula Salve on skin rashes, minor cuts and burns, bruises, eczema, psoriasis, sunburns and chapped lips.
• 1/4 cup beeswax
• 1 cup infused calendula oil
• 3 to 5 drops lavender essential oil
1. Melt beeswax in a double boiler. If there isn’t one available, use a saucepan. Just make sure it’s over low heat so as not to scorch the wax.
2. Once melted, add the infused oil. This will cause the mixture to solidify. Keep it on low heat until the mixture liquefies.
3. Stir the mixture. If you’re worried about the consistency of the salve, take a small spoonful and set it in the freezer for a couple of minutes. If it’s too soft, add a little more beeswax; if it’s too hard, add a little more infused oil.
4. Remove mixture from heat and add essential oil.
5. Pour into salve tins (found at health-food stores or online). Wait until salve completely solidifies before capping it with a lid to avoid condensation.
Gina DeBacker is assistant editor at The Herb Companion magazine.
Click here for the main article, Make Your Own Medicine: A Homemade Herbal Salve.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE