Certain herbs added to your favorite herbal shampoo can bring out your hair’s natural highlights. Use chamomile for hair, as it makes a mild shampoo that is perfect for fine, light-colored hair; the flowers have a mild bleaching effect. If you have dark hair, use lavender or rosemary for hair, as they enhance your own natural color. MAKES 8 OUNCES
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 tablespoons dried or 1/3 cup fresh chamomile, lavender or rosemary
• 1/2 cup Basic Shampoo or mild commercial shampoo
• 2 tablespoons glycerin
1. Mix together the water and herbs and heat gently to make a strong tea. Let the mixture steep for at least 20 minutes. Add shampoo and glycerin to the herbal water mixture and stir well.
2. Pour shampoo into a clean squeeze bottle or empty shampoo bottle. Let the mixture sit overnight to thicken.
3. To use: Shampoo and rinse well.
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty at Home (Henry Holt and Company, 2002).
Click here for the original article, Shimmer and Shine: Making Homemade Shampoo and Conditioner.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE