Give your hair the love it deserves with this herbal shampoo.
After you wash your hair, rinse well for at least two full minutes and use the coolest water you can stand. My mother always told me that the colder the water, the greater the shine!
Certain herbs added to your favorite herbal shampoo can bring out your hair’s natural highlights. Use chamomile for hair, as it makes a mild shampoo that is perfect for fine, light-colored hair; the flowers have a mild bleaching effect. If you have dark hair, use lavender or rosemary for hair, as they enhance your own natural color. MAKES 8 OUNCES
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 tablespoons dried or 1/3 cup fresh chamomile, lavender or rosemary
• 1/2 cup Basic Shampoo or mild commercial shampoo
• 2 tablespoons glycerin
1. Mix together the water and herbs and heat gently to make a strong tea. Let the mixture steep for at least 20 minutes. Add shampoo and glycerin to the herbal water mixture and stir well.
2. Pour shampoo into a clean squeeze bottle or empty shampoo bottle. Let the mixture sit overnight to thicken.
3. To use: Shampoo and rinse well.
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty at Home (Henry Holt and Company, 2002).
Click here for the original article, Shimmer and Shine: Making Homemade Shampoo and Conditioner.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE