Solid perfume and scents are classic products that have always been popular because they are long lasting and easy to carry and apply. They are perfect for travel because they are solid not liquid. You can simply rub a bit of scent on your pulse points rather than spraying scent and the air around you. They are simple to make much like a lip balm or body butter. The scent of lavender mixes well with other popular scents such as vanilla, mint, rose and sweet orange. Have fun creating your own unique scent. MAKES 1 OUNCE
• 1 tablespoon grated beeswax
• 1 tablespoon almond oil
• 5 to 6 drops lavender essential oil (or your own combination of essential oils)
1. Mix together the beeswax and almond oil and heat gently until melted in the microwave or on the stove top on low heat.
2. Stir well and add the lavender oil and pour into a small container with a tight fitting lid.
3. To use: Massage the scent into your pulse points or wherever you wish.
TIP: Fall Asleep Easier: If you are having trouble unwinding or falling asleep at night you may want to raise your bath temperature and add a few drops of lavender essential oil. The combination of a soothing scent and raising your core body temperature will help you calm down and rest. Just be careful as too hot of water temperature can be drying to your skin so make sure you follow up with a rich natural oil or moisturizing lotion.
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty at Home (Henry Holt and Company, 2002) and she and her daughter, Lauren Cox co-authored EcoBeauty (Ten Speed Press, 2009). For more recipes and ideas visit her website at www.janicecox.com.
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Make Lavender Beauty Products.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on natural health, organic gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE