Keeping your lips soft and moist is important and adding a bit of lavender to your favorite lip balm recipe also helps heal and treat chapped and dry lips. Lavender gives this balm a sweet herbal flavor as well as a relaxing scent. If you cannot find avocado oil at your local store you may substitute with any favorite light oil such as almond, sesame or walnut. MAKES 1/2 OUNCE
• 1 teaspoon shea butter
• 1 teaspoon cocoa butter
• 1 teaspoon avocado oil (you can also use almond oil)
• 1⁄2 teaspoon grated beeswax
• 2 to 3 drops lavender essential oil
1. Mix together all ingredients, except for the lavender essential oil, and gently heat until melted. You may heat in the microwave or on the stove top using low heat.
2. Stir well and add essential oil of lavender and pour into a small clean container. Allow to cool completely until solid.
3. To use: Rub into your lips and enjoy.
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty at Home (Henry Holt and Company, 2002) and she and her daughter, Lauren Cox co-authored EcoBeauty (Ten Speed Press, 2009). For more recipes and ideas visit her website at www.janicecox.com.
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Make Lavender Beauty Products.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on Natural Health, Organic Gardening, Real Food and more!LEARN MORE